The following verses make it clear the NEW JERUSALEM would be set BEFORE the BOOK OF MORMON came forth:
22 But if they (Gentiles) will repent and hearken unto my words, and harden not their hearts, I will establish my church among them,* and they shall come in unto the covenant and be numbered among this the remnant of Jacob (Indians), unto whom I have given this land for their inheritance;
23 And they (Gentiles) shall assist my people, the remnant of Jacob (Indians), and also as many of the house of Israel (Jews) as shall come, that they may build a city, which shall be called the New Jerusalem..
24 And then shall they (Gentiles) assist my people (Indians) that they may be gathered in, who are scattered upon all the face of the land, in unto the New Jerusalem.
25 And then shall the power of heaven come down among them; and I also will be in the midst.
26 And then shall the work of the Father commence at that day, even when this gospel shall be preached among the remnant of this people. Verily I say unto you, at that day shall the work of the Father commence among all the dispersed of my people, yea, even the tribes which have been lost, which the Father hath led away out of Jerusalem. (3 Nephi 21)
Points to Ponder:
- The time of repenting and turning to God is known as The Great Awakening. Hear a modern rendition of Johnathan Edward’s sermon “Sinners in the Hands of An Angry God July 8, 1741, in Enfield, Connecticut” by evangelist Billy Graham – 1949.
- The definition of “church” according to Jesus is “whosoever repents and comes unto me” (D&C 10:67) or “whosoever hears my voice” (Mosiah 26:21-22).
- The word “establish” means to fortify or make strong, not to start. (Mosiah 26:17)
- In the Summer of 1829, Jesus said his church was ALREADY on earth. (D&C 10:54)
- “New Jerusalem” means “Peace.” You can’t have peace without freedom. In other words, the “New Jerusalem” would be a free country with Jesus as its King.
- “Unalienable rights,” as stated in the Declaration of Independence, come from God.
- Godless people, i.e., amoral people in such a country, will abuse their freedom.
- The New Jerusalem will be composed of users and abusers and will reflect a city like New York more than an amusement park.
- The “city” New Jerusalem is more a government than an imaginary Atlantis.
- The indigenous peoples with the white Gentiles would jointly build the New Jerusalem, which began to be fulfilled with the Iroquois Nation and the Colonists with the Albany Plan of Union.
- Many indigenous peoples were scattered and warring among themselves, speaking different languages, etc., when the Gentiles arrived. Once foreign nations stopped inciting rebellion among the Indians, they were gathered under the umbrella of the United States government.
- The colonists and the aboriginal peoples, together, were delivered from all nations by God.
- The power of God and the presence of Jesus Christ was so strongly manifested that many preachers, visionaries, seminaries, and denominations sprang up.
- The “Work of the Father” IS THE BOOK OF MORMON that came forth AFTER those previous prophecies were fulfilled.
President J. Reuben Clark, Jr:
The Lord declared the purpose of this Constitution when He said that it “should be maintained for the rights and protection of all flesh.” (D&C 101:77.)
Thus we had set up, under the guidance of God Himself, A GOVERNMENT that made of this land the kind of land Lehi and Jacob had foreseen and prophesied-“A LAND OF LIBERTY.” (James R. Clark, comp., Messages of the First Presidency of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Bookcraft, 1965-75, vol. 6, p. 105)
The New Jerusalem would be set up before the Book of Mormon came forth.